PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pegasus accident in SAW; just reported
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2020, 03:06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tdracer
Yea, I know, I need to stop being so logical.
On a more serious note, maybe it's time for some airports to look into installing EMAS - it's saved a few aircraft (and likely some lives) on this side of the pond. I've heard that there isn't a single EMAS installation outside of North America - if true that's borderline criminal.
It will be interesting to see what the crew calculated for their landing distance in view of known runway and weather conditions and if they factored in their maximum tail wind component for landing.
When a stable approach is flown and the touchdown made in the "touch down zone" then performance calculations should be such that the aircraft will remain "on the hard surface" (with all systems operating normally) at the end of the landing roll.
Local airport authorities are probably not going to install EMAS for cost or for other reasons, but some Air force bases in Greece do have "an arrestor system" for their fighters, such as Heraklion, I believe, and these airports are also used for domestic/charter flights.

The CVR transcript will highlight HF and SA performance, if it will be released.