PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Draft AC 61-16 v1.0 - Spin avoidance and stall recovery training
Old 4th Feb 2020, 07:05
djpil

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by megan
.. I repeat the below in its entirety because the message needs to get out, if only CASA would learn it, an SR-22 T/O chart goes to 50°C and the DH-82 below to 45°C. Have made the chart large so those of us with less than perfect vision should have no trouble.

Perusing the old Digests kindly provided above in the forum, I came across this article in issue #33, which I reproduce in its entirety. Note density altitude is the focus, temp even goes to 45°C on the chart, and absolutely no mention of temp being a limit, just DA.
The thing about those useful old “P” Charts is that CASA withdrew their approval however stated that we could still use them but we take responsibility (I’m unable to even find that statement on the CASA website now). With the 8KCAB there are 5 different powerplant options and my airplane had the one with worse take-off performance so, as I had to take responsibility, I asked CASA to provide the test report as I doubted that the test aircraft used had the small engine and a cruise pitch propeller (the chart simply stated 8KCAB). Nil response so I declined to use those charts. Nil performance information in the approved AFM. The manufacturer’s Operating Manual has some sporting performance information. It goes to a very high density altitude and I may use declared density charts so all good. Data is only provided for a level sealed runway so for the effect of grass and runway slope I go to the UK CAA’s Safety Sense Leaflet 7 (as suggested by Flight Safety Magazine in 2002). After all, the aircraft manual states that “good pilot judgement must be used".

With Part 91 next year I am required to check the take-off performance for every flight and I must use information from the AFM, manufacturer’s manual or other approved data. We will not be able to use those old “P” charts as they are not approved. I only have approved data for a level sealed runway so unable to operate off a grass strip – many airplanes will run across that limitation.

Finally, it is worth noting that with FAR 23 for small airplanes there is nil requirement for any performance limitations and any operating limitations MUST be specified in the airplane flight manual (look in the limitations section).