PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flights from China
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2020, 01:42
Sunfish

Received 89 Likes on 32 Posts
The problem currently with CFR figures is that we haven’t yet (I think) got a statistically valid sample size.

Winemaker and Ollie could both be right - there could be under reporting and there most definitely is a lag between diagnosed onset and death which I have heard is about 14 days so far. That means the cumulative deaths so far are from a population size of 14 days ago.

If you look at those numbers today, you get jibberish - 400+ deaths from a reported 300 cases! We need a sample of say 500 patients who are followed until they recover or die - only then will we know. My unfortunate guess so far is for a CFR well above seasonal flu.

But it gets worse, the CFR we are talking about is with first class medical care which won’t be available if this gets out of hand since our medical resources will be overwhelmed.

IF we can’t contact trace effectively and don’t do quarantine properly, then all that is left is social distancing- close schools, universities, sporting events, pubs, restaurants and all non essential interactions until this burns out or we get a vaccine. I think that is where China is at today.

IF we stuff up social distancing then we are in the territory of “continuity of Government” plans, and you had better have your own food and supplies if that happens.