PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kobe Bryant killed in S76 crash
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2020, 17:22
TriStar_drvr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IamNew
This is probably a silly question, but I don't understand this portion of the transcript with ATC (bold is by me):

Helicopter: Van Nuys. Helicopter 2EchoX, we are currently with you for the special VFR transition. We are currently at 1,400 [feet].

Van Nuys airport tower: Helicopter 2EchoX, Van Nuys tower. Wind calm, visibility 2½. Ceiling 1,100 overcast. Van Nuys altimeter’s 30.16. Cleared into Van Nuys Class Delta, northeast of Van Nuys along the 118 Freeway westbound. Advise when you’re in VFR conditions or when you’re clear of the Van Nuys Class Delta. Transition when you’re at or below 2,500 [feet].

Helicopter: 2EchoX-ray. Advise in VFR condition, and then we stay on the 118. We’re currently at 1,400 [feet], and we have 0235.

Van Nuys tower: Helicoper 2EchoX, thank you. And once you’re clear of Van Nuys Delta, did you want to talk to SoCal?

Helicopter: Affirmative. 2EchoX.

Helicopter: Tower for 2EchoX-ray, can we start go ahead and turn toward the southwest for the 101?

Van Nuys tower: Helicopter 2EchoX-ray, approved, and are you transitioning in VFR conditions?

Helicopter: VFR conditions, 1,500 [feet]. 2EchoX.

How were they in SVFR at 1400 if the Van Nuys ceiling is 1100? Weren't they already in then clouds then? And then she asks if they are transitioning in VFR conditions and he says yes they are but at 1500? Seems conflicting to me yet ATC doesn't seem concerned.
the ceiling is height above ground. Pilots give their altitude at height above mean seal level. Van Nuys field elevation is around 700 feet above seal level. Therefore a ceiling of 1100 feet would put the cloud bases at 1800 feet MSL. The pilot reported his altitude as indicated by his altimeter as 1400 feet MSL. Therefore at the time about 400 feet below the cloud bases.