PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing, and FAA oversight
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2020, 21:32
Bend alot

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by retired guy
Hi Bendalot. It’s hard to cost sim per hour.
I know I can rent a local 737 sim for something like 1000 per hour- maybe less pro rata for four.
First you have the cost of the sim at say 12million. Then the building rent etc. utilization. Is it generating income from third parties? But the cost that scares airlines is the time off flying the line involved and impact on rosters. And the need for more training pilots- it’s a big overhead. In a LCC it’s not uncommon for pilots to have to travel a whole day from home base to a sim in day UK . Say Poland to UK? Three flights?
For a one hour Max refresher that would be the same. And then Hotac overnight. For some airlines that’s a cost too - not all!
Two days gone. And annual duty hours affected maybe. Oh dear. And FTL or roster agreement might mean he now can’t fly next day. Is the cost of this training worth it? A thousand times yes.

I would add a whole day annually onto every pilot if I were running the train set. ( Any finance guy reading this, and maybe others, will be saying “thank God the idiot is too old) One day devoted to flying in degraded modes. No autopilots. Multiple failures. Failures that are ambiguous. Raw data. Visual approaches. The works and no pilot would join who hadnt been been trained in those skills at flight school. Somewhere like Oxford or Jerez or equivalent.
Capt G Khan over and out
aka R Guy
Yes so $1K just for the unit (sim only)for one hour, then the pilot needs to be paid as does his replacement and then the ancillary costs.

$2K seems way of the mark in most cases.