PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Poseidon - Not too long to wait?
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2020, 19:32
Lonewolf_50

Received 393 Likes on 244 Posts
For Surplus:
Let me offer you a couple of ideas on why the US P-8 might not have a MAD boom on it.
They are going to leave the MAD (or other) hunting circles to the helicopters, under the operational theory that the open ocean or GI/UK gap scenario that we grew up with in the Cold War (when you had all of that contact time) isn't how the requirements document for P-8 was written.

FWIW: the MH-60R does have MAD. (The MAD reeling machine's on the starboard side of the helicopter, just as it was on the SH-60B and the SH-60F).
MAD is a localization tool more than a search tool.

I have some friends (P-3 guys) who used to loved to do MAD traps in a P-3; but in a combined force ASW op, rather than "one plane by itself", they tended to leave low level stuff to the rotary wing assets.Better air space deconfliction that way, and for that matter the P-3's tended to try and stay ahead of the problem ... with their on station time/range/speed advantage over ships and helos, they could.

So why would the Indian P-8 have MAD?

I'll take a SWAG on that: their operational concept includes more frequent instances of the P-8 as a solo ASW platform who needs that localization tool for the mission environment that the Indian Navy envision. And maybe some of the (other) stuff isn't in their equipment suite just yet.
As I am not in the Indian Navy, the above is a guess.
There could be other reasons.

Decision by UK in that regard have already been covered.

Last edited by Lonewolf_50; 30th Jan 2020 at 19:48.