PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NYT: How Boeing’s Responsibility in a Deadly Crash ‘Got Buried’
Old 30th Jan 2020, 11:18
fdr

Received 861 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by retired guy
Hi Rather Be Flying
I don't think AF 447 went into The Atlantic because of multiple sensor failures. That was easily overcome through flying the plane in the correct manner - I think?
The tech failure was a catalyst or start of a chain of events, but not the cause.
Thats what seems to be the general consensus but I may be wrong.
I get your point is you are saying that several invalid inputs can confuse a computer I agree, as in this case, but here we go again, isn't that why we have pilots. Good luck to Airbus with their latest auto takeoff.
Cheers
R Guy

The sensors cleared, the back stick didn't.

If anyone can think of a plane other than an Ercoupe that you can hold full back stick all day, then that might be worth a beer. For all that though, assuming that the pilots had reason to live another day, there is a reason that a trained pilot thought that holding full back stick was a good idea, and releasing that as commanded by the captain when he got back was not accomplished. In the end, the pilot was human, and in a critical, high stress event, the pear shape ended up proving Newtons law of apples.

With no particular party intended, an observation of operational safety

We sit back in out comfortable chairs, and remark on the worst seconds of the worst day that these guys had, and remonstrate that a human had human frailties. We also contend that we would have done differently, and maybe we would, or maybe we would also be human. Will be glad never to have to find out that case in a tube filled with valuables.

Sure there is an appropriate passage in some well read tome that speaks to judgements, yes, I seem to recall that was written somewhere.

PS: Actually, I have experienced that type of problem, I assure you that being in command of an aircraft that you have 447 lives other than your own interested in your actions, and knowing that there is nothing you are able to do to alter the outcome at that very moment concentrates the mind. If it never happens again, then I would be a happy little camper. In my case, the situation had no causation from my actions, I can only imagine what it would be like to have an inkling that you have a bad day, and that you may have had input into that condition. That is a terrifying thought all of its own.