PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways A350 Hard Landing at Tel Aviv
Old 27th Jan 2020, 09:31
Uplinker

Received 101 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by EcamSurprise
Basically a non-event causing an online discussion, with the usual criticisms from people who obviously know better.......
I must be reading a different thread. I can see no criticism of the A350 crew, and the thread has moved onto a discussion about auto-thrust and Vapp at very short finals.

Basically the Airbus FBW auto-thrust and G/S mini combination works extremely well. There are a couple of provisos to that statement: One is that the aircraft we fly can be heavier than we think from the load sheet. +2 tonnes is common, I did see nearly +4 tonnes once! So beware that Vapp might not be correct for your weight. Always check that Vapp bug is at least Vls+5kts, and adjust if necessary.

If you are in an A330, its auto-thrust is "lazy". On certain days it might let the speed dribble down to 3-4kts below bug, and this is something to be avoided, otherwise a heavy landing can result. My advice is to do something about that. On approach, if LDA is not limiting, you could adjust Vapp to be Vls+6 or Vls+7. Or simply use phase advance or go manual thrust.

Don't be afraid of manual thrust - Airbus say to take over if the system response is unsatisfactory - just make sure you understand what will happen when you use it, and practice using it on easy good weather days, so you are confident.

Once you are over the threshold, accept the speed you have and concentrate on the landing. Having said that, if speed is below Vapp-5kts, a baulked landing would probably be safer, unless you are totally confident about using manual thrust.

I am not a trainer, nor an authority, just what works for me. I have not flown A350 or A340.

Enjoy !