PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What job did you/are doing on your journey to be a pilot?
Old 25th Jan 2020, 15:47
Chris the Robot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rottweiler22
Same.

In this day and age your full HGV driving licence will set you back around £2,500. But once you’ve got your licences, there are plenty of jobs out there. The majority of which are quite accommodating. If you want the hours, you can have them. As an employed driver you can earn quite decent money. So it’s a good thing to do if you want to earn as much as possible, then take time off to do a particular stage of your flight training.

It got me through my flight training. I do miss my top-end Volvo, parked up in a layby with my TV and a tin of soup. Good times.
One of my family members drove lorries for a well-known brewery starting in the 1960's. Training paid for, good salary, non-contributory defined benefit pension, the company's own version of a council house, sports and social club, free meals from the restaurant-quality work canteen and a bottle of the company's finest every day. Hopefully the current shortage will push things back in that direction.