PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advanced UPRT
Thread: Advanced UPRT
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2020, 18:52
Rottweiler22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I enjoyed the course, but in all honesty I can’t see much of it’s applicable value in an airline environment.

It seemed to me like it was just 3 hours of flying slotted in between two days of briefings. All I remember is basic stall recovery, slipping and skidding stalls, spins, and nose high / nose low recoveries.

Granted, the briefings were some of the best I’ve ever seen. Delivered by ex-fast jet pilots. The flying was fun, but all I really learnt from it was “pitch, power, roll”, which was their mantra. After the various stalls and recoveries had been completed (which took about 15 minutes), the instructor gave demonstrations of endless aerobatic manoeuvres. It seemed like the instructors spent most of the time showing off and getting some stick time. You really don’t have much time up there, especially when most of the hour consisted of departures and arrivals.

The things I took from it were what I already knew from the PPL stage. And were taught to me by a PPL instructor in a Piper. And the type-relevant stuff taught in a type rating. It’s a great experience to fly in an airplane fit for the Red Bull Air Race with an F-16 pilot sat behind you, but I honestly don’t think UPRT should be mandatory. It’s a farce how if training isn’t expensive enough, it’s now going to cost £2,000 more. Not to mention the difficulty of getting it scheduled in Europe, considering it needs perfect weather.

There’s definitely an element of self-preservation and training providers who are trying to justify their own existence with this one.