PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NYT: How Boeing’s Responsibility in a Deadly Crash ‘Got Buried’
Old 21st Jan 2020, 22:32
retired guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Snyggapa
statistically, there must be. And also statistically, nearly half of your pilots will be below average.

Don't design products to be safe only if used by the average pilot

Serious question - has anyone ever come off a long duty period and into a sim to see how their fatigued self reacts in an emergency?
Hi Synggapa
your maths is of course correct. There must be an average pilot half way between the best and the worst. Now the worst has to exceed the minimum requirement, and in a good airline that minimum will be above the CAA bar by some good margin. So your worst pilot is still pretty good. Your average pilot, a bit like me , somewhat better. and while not the best in the world, still hitting high ratings with no fail points and minor debriefing areas.And then the best pilots way up there much higher and probably get 100% in proficiency. Every time. So you can let your average pilot fly anything you can throw at him. Then there are the 200 airlines that aren’t allowed to fly in EU AIRSPACE. They clearly lie below the minimum EU. EASA requirement and their average pilot must have a lot difficulty passing checks etc.

as for being tired after a long day, yes I have and once or twice had to do my OPC after, on following morning. . Can’ t remember outcome so must have been ok.
doe that cover what you wanted.
R Guy