PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - European short haul Captain emigrating to US. Best Jobs?
Old 20th Jan 2020, 01:57
Kilogram

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bafanguy
Kilo,

You didn't mention the country from which you'd be coming or your nationality (I assume you're not an Aussie) but you must already have legal ability to live/work here so you've cleared the major hurdle.

As for being legally able to be a DEC at a regional, you'd have to run that potential Part 135 piston PIC time through the filter of FAR Part 121.436 to see if you'd legally meet the FAA criteria to be a DEC in a Part 121 operation:

The other consideration would be whether a regional would take you on as a DEC under the path you're considering even if you legally meet the FAA criteria to be one. Perhaps your previous large airplane time would be a positive factor in the minds of your target regional. And you won't need any type ratings on your FAA ATP as any carrier you'd work for here will provide type trainings.

In any event, best of luck with your plans. Let us know how it goes for you.
Hey thanks for you thorough response. Yes, I'm not Australian. Looking at the regs, it looks like if I go on with this particular 135 operator and build 1000hrs PIC, I may just meet the minimum requirement for a DEC entry at a regional. However, you make a good point that my lack of US 121 time may not make me a candidate for it. I guess only way to figure out is by giving it shot. I also hear Spirit hires 320 guys from overseas (with the right to work in the US of course) without any US airline experience. I'm wondering if it's true and if getting the 135 first and flying there 1-2 years would hinder my chances with Spirit since I would be not current on the 320 by the time I apply. Anyways, many things to chew on.
thanks again Bafan.
I'll let you guys know what path I take

kg