PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The future is bright the future is HIAL
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2020, 09:07
chevvron

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by LookingForAJob

As for combining radar services in a single ops room, and sometimes providing those services at some distance from the ops room,there is nothing new about this, and I suspect that benefits of doing so are easily demonstrated. 'Remoting' surveillance systems and RTF is probably considered a pretty mature technology these days, and I doubt that cameras and other airport surveillance systems offer little additional challenge.
When I first became an ATCA at West Drayton back in '69, I read a report of a visit by some LATCC controllers (including the late Len Vass) to New York where they viewed the 'NY Common IFR' facility at (I think) Newark; that's where I first heard about the concept of combining approach services for several airports under one roof, so it didn't surprise me when years later, the 'Beeker Plan' (from its authors, Dave Beech and Al Parker) introduced the same concept to the UK which eventually became CCF then TC.
Course the RAF introduced a similar (but not quite the same) concept in the early '60s with Combined Approach Control (CAC).