PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VISION THREAD (other than colour vision) 2
Old 18th Jan 2020, 07:21
OliverMitchell191213

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Confusion about CAA GM for eyesight

Hi all,

In the next few months I'll be applying for my initial Class One medical. However, one thing that has always concerned me is my eyes. I have myopia and very slight astigmatism: -7.5 and -7.25 myopia, with -0.25 astigmatism in both.

The CAA GM states this in the 'Accetable Means of Compliance' column:
Applicants with the following conditions may be assessed as fit subject to satisfactory ophthalmic evaluation and provided that optimal correction has been considered and no significant pathology is demonstrated:
(ii) myopia not exceeding -6.0 dioptres;
(iii) astigmatism not exceeding 2.0 dioptres;

Therefore, by this, I should fail my medical as my myopia is outside the limits. However, in the 'Guidance Material' column, it states:
Applicants for a class 1 medical certificate with any of the following medical conditions shall be referred to the medical assessor of the licensing authority and may be assessed as fit subject to a satisfactory ophthalmological evaluation:
(i) Myopia exceeding -6.0 dioptres;
(ii) astigmatism exceeding 2.0 dioptres;
Assessment should be conducted by, or under the supervision of, an ophthalmologist and ensure that there is no underlying pathology or other ocular abnormalities. Monocular visual acuities shall be 6/6 or better. Assessment shall include:
1) Dilated, binocular, indirect ophthalmoscopy in cases of myopia exceeding –6.00 dioptres
2) Corneal topography at initial assessment (and at renewal where there is significant change in refraction) in cases of astigmatism exceeding 2.00 dioptres.

The local optician said the myopia should stop when I get to around 22 (I'm 18), and the astigmatism shouldn't get passed the -2.0 limit.

My question is this: has anyone successfully been certified an initial Class One with an exceedance in myopia or astigmatism? I know for myself there is no underlying issue and my eyes are healthy. I'm just concerned given that the CAA GM seems to contradict itself (probably me being paranoid...). Should I be worried about my medical? From what I can tell, I'll just be referred to someone higher up ('the medical assessor of the licensing authority'?), who can then approve it?

There is always the alternative of getting LASIK to bring my eyes within the limits.