PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Close call + ATC link at JFK
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2020, 12:06
atr-drivr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Uplinker
Yeah, there are things we all try to do to mitigate problems as much as possible. If you radio Ramp at 30nm or more out to find your gate and you tell Tower which entry point on landing, by which time the gate has changed.........you are back to square one.

If Tower and Ground had a screen they could glance at* when you vacate the runway and see where your gate is, they could simply issue taxi instructions without the extra "which is your gate" question and answer. clogging up the airwaves. Many other airfields manage to do this, and I assume that KJFK have very experienced ATCOs, so surely not beyond their capability ?

My point is ATC should be directing us, not the other way round.

I usually find KJFK difficult, and assumed it was me being thick, but others are saying they find it difficult too.

*Actually, isn't the gate written on the strip, electronic or otherwise?
UP, no because ATC has no control over terminal gate assignment. In JFK the IAT will assign gates usually based on what is available at the time as i understand it. The less they have control over the the better they like it. If the terminal is pretty much one airline, Ramp control for said airline runs that, not to say that is the best operation. I have sat on the ramp waiting for the ‘assigned gate’ for over 50 minutes with more than a dozen open...🙄. Unless you can get right in to your ramp area, GND will drive you around the airport to keep traffic moving. So when they ask your gate assignment after you land, they can work out the best/efficient way of getting you in while getting the outbounds to the RWY.