PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flybe in trouble ?
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2020, 20:39
Celestial18

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lowfat
Well I fly from Newquay to Aberdeen and all he flights are always full. I also take issue with the stupid comment that London to cornwall is quicker by train. Just over an hour by plane and 6 hours by train. At least 6 hours by train. In fact if I have to use the train I drive an hour and half to Exeter rather than my local station which is 3 hours by train to exeter
Newquay is effectively the airport for all of Cornwall though. For those in the north of the county, Saltash and Liskeard have regular services to London taking around 3hrs 30. And lots more if you cross the Tamar to Plymouth too. Even Penzance is just 5 hrs away, not 6, though I’ll admit plane wins there for speed, even allowing for getting to the airport.

I was struck by the businessman quoted on the BBC who said he would be devastated if the Manchester to Edinburgh route folded. Well there’s a 3hr train that runs every two hours, which city centre to city centre will beat flying these days, once you factor in travel to airport, arrival at the airport no later than 45 mins before departure time (15 min security, 30 min gate closed), contingency margin, and travel into city at the other end. And less stressful and more productive too.