PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing, and FAA oversight
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2020, 15:21
xetroV

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
"I suck at flying jammed elevator without DLC"

"It's tough, huh?"

"I crashed big time my first few times, that's what scares me about showing this to any of them. You can get decent at it after 3-4 tries, but the first few are ugly."

"They are going to tweak the elevator effectiveness a little. Yeah, we talked about using a reasonable cg to make it doable without dlc"
Originally Posted by DieselOx
So, in an effort to not require sim training, they are talking about setting up ideal conditions for elevator jammed demo. Then, they are content to send pilots out on the MAX, knowing full well that if the holes in the cheese line up, and the not ideal conditions occur, the plane will likely crash.

Unbelievable.
Unbelievable indeed. It seems clear that just ticking the certification box was considered more important than actually ensuring that the pitch control degrades gracefully in case of an elevator jam, or providing crews with appropriate training on this issue.

This begs the question if that is an exclusive MAX problem or perhaps also a threat for the 737 NG’s. The NG doesn’t have direct lift control (if that’s what DLC refers to). Knowing that Boeing pilots crashed the plane in this scenario is not confidence-enhancing, to say the least. One more item to try out in the sim, next time I’m in it.