PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing, and FAA oversight
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2020, 17:43
retired guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Discorde
^^^^^ DLC could be Direct Lift Control. The Lockheed 1011 used this system (variable spolier deployment) to stablise approach flight path without change of attitude or thrust.
Thanks Takwis for the info on additional systems on the MAX.
DLC
Direct Lift Control
Indeed it did Discorde. The 1011 was a delight to fly and took some getting used to since DLC was active below, I think 2000 feet. Once you got below the trigger height of around 2000 feet, the spoilers partially deployed.
What it did was, say you were on GP and slightly high flying manually, you would push the stick slightly forward, yes, as usual.

But the spoilers would further deploy and increase ROD to get you back on GP without any noticeable change in attitude. If you got a little low, you would pull and the spoilers would partially retract.
​​​​​​​So it acted like a "smoother " to pilot inputs and make flying a 3 degree GP very easy. If you deviated significantly then of course you would push/pull harder and the attitude would change as per any other aircraft. If this is on the MAX then like MCAS it should be part of the course if it changes the handling technique.
That said, I have listened to many AA and SW pilots talking esp after Lionair and before ET, and none of them mention anything odd about the MAX at all. 300 of them flying for three years and as far as I know zero adverse comment from the largely very experienced pilots flying them.
I have asked elsewhere in Prune if anyone knows of any reports of adverse handling prior to ET and I haven't seen anything here. Does anyone know of any reports that were lodged?
It would be interesting if there were!
Cheers
R Guy