PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Laarbruch memories
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2020, 10:49
NickB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was posted into Laarbruch in June 1996, knowing that the base was on borrowed time.

On the 9th Jan 1997 (almost 23 years ago to the day), I was on a day shift in the Met Office (part of Ops Wg HQ) - it was early on in the morning and I generally watched every take off and landing, but on this morning I was talking to the forecaster Frank C about something when I heard a strange noise making me rush to the window. I later deduced that noise was the sound of an ejection seat being used in anger, but at the time all I saw was a Harrier hitting the runway hard, sliding along and then rolling inverting and exploding into a ball of flame. I've re-lived that moment a number of times in my head - part panic, part upset (I thought the pilot was still inside) and part professionalism - I NEED TO DO MY JOB! I jumped to and starting time-marking all the met instruments and proceeded with a 'crash observation' - my first in 5 years.
Very quickly a Puma launched and landed just opposite our office on the North side of the main runway and we quickly realised he was picking up the pilot. Thank God he managed to eject in time! I'm not sure I'm allowed to mention the pilots name here - D_n S_________r, but if you're reading this D_n, can I say, never have I been so relieved to hear you got out OK with I think just a broken angle/leg. I didn't know him, but it's funny how working in a tight knit FJ station like Laarbruch makes you feel like a family - cliche perhaps, but that's how it felt to me.

Happy days, the like of which will never be repeated again - I still consider myself very fortunate to have had the opportunity.

Last edited by NickB; 7th Jan 2020 at 09:23.