PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 787 Lightning strike issues v FAA
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2020, 19:03
turbidus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"According to statistics published by the Royal Canadian Air Force, a plane can be struck by lightning on average every 1,000 to 3,000 flight hours. For commercial aircraft, that’s equivalent to one strike per aircraft per year.

Although The Boeing Co. (Chicago, Ill.) has reported that the probability of a worst-case strike could be as infrequent as once every 10 to 15 years, aircraft designs must be able to withstand such a strike.

Boeing recently reported in its AERO magazine that an airplane flies farther than its own length in the time it takes a strike to begin and end. Therefore, the entry point will change as the charge reattaches to other locations aft of the initial point. This can result in multiple burn areas or other damage that could have a direct effect on a plane’s structural integrity, and indirect effects that include damage to radio equipment and avionics or other electrically operated mechanisms, such as fuel valves when electrical potential differences or magnetic effects cause transient voltage spikes. Further, fatal accidents have occurred when current has arced around metal fasteners and ignited fuel vapors."

From my experience, I have been banged at least once a year if not more....so once a year is very conservative, and I think it is more often. Boeing claiming WORST CASE STRIKE (WTF does that mean??) is once every 10 to 15 years??? That has NOT been my experience.

IF the 787 is designed for a once in 15 year strike, there may be some valid concerns...

https://www.compositesworld.com/arti...osite-aircraft