PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Japan (AJX) B767
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2020, 01:01
Fratemate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am just curious why do you carry out a landing checklist before extending flaps 30? Are there some differences between B767 FCTM and AJX SOP?
Welcome to our world of 'my procedure'!!

Yes, despite the FCTM, the Japanese have decided you can do it either way. So, you can get to Flap 20 and then call for the Landing Checklist. The PM will suspend the checklist with words similar to "standing by one item or standing by flaps". Once the final flaps are set (25 or 30) the PF will ask for the checklist to be continued and the PM reads "Flaps", with PF responding "25/30".

Or

You can do the whole lot and then ask for the Landing Checklist once final flaps are set.

The trouble with this second option is you don't want to be doing the checklist while you're concentrating on your turn to final, so it is much better to get the bulk of it done once the flaps are at 20 and then you've just got the one item to do before you start the turn. If you get the cadence correct then it works out just as they want a visual pattern to be flown. When you're trudging down an ILS you can use either method and it doesn't matter but, for the visual circuit, I would recommend NOT waiting until final flaps are set before ordering the checklist. You CAN but they won't like it