PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why Bombardier selling spree?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2020, 16:54
ElectroVlasic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cappt
The C series was overpriced (why buy a hundred seater for the same price as a 37/320?) and the company couldn’t make a meaningful sale, no rev coming in. The US scope clause ruled out regional airlines who had done previous business with the company, these same previous partners felt their product (CRJ) had been shelved and neglected (true) and left for the far superior ERJ line of aircraft.
BBD and EMB both thought the US scope clause would change, and it did not, laying waste to their business plans and driving both to seek buyouts. Airbus had its foot on BBD's neck just as hard as Boeing did. Airbus's choice to use the PW GTF on A320neo largely undermined the market for BCS, and of course Airbus fought for every sale it could against BCS. BBD asked Boeing to look at the books for BCS twice and make an offer, and both times Boeing said thanks but no thanks. I still wonder what they saw that made them so skiddish. Airbus only bought in to BCS when offered half of the program for $1. While it is a nice aircraft BCS is not very compatible with A320, and I doubt Airbus is as ready to walk away from the A320 gold mine as many seem to suggest.