PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R44 crash San Antonio loss of power and/or a wire strike
Old 1st Jan 2020, 11:18
SASless

Received 508 Likes on 211 Posts
I am fairly liberal in my definition of "safe landing"......and it focuses upon me and my passengers and innocent bystanders....and not the aircraft or property on the ground.

As long as we are all standing around with knees shaking, hands trembling, waiting for the Whisky to be passed along.....then it was a safe landing.

Engines quit....helicopters are just reusable containers that are used to protect the contents.

That is my point.....if you and atop some guy's garden shed but no one gets hurt.....insurance can sort that out later.

Yes....prevention is the key....and that is where judgement and not regulation is the answer.

Flying the Huey around the UK I always sought the safe path even if hot the direct route and there were many urban areas I would not fly over unless I was at such a height that I could make it to a clear area.

I see it being a Risk Analysis issue.....considering the reliability of modern engines....the length of exposure to less than ideal landing sites....and the like that should determine your flight path.

The last factor has to do with the issue of whether you have full control of the aircraft.....as it is not just engine failures that can put you into a need to land immediately......how do you factor that into the discussion?

Happy New Year to you!