PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 Max/Poseidon
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2019, 15:37
Yellow Sun

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RetiredBA/BY
The MCAS, as is, on a maritime reconnaissance aircraft frequently operating at very low level ?
Not necessarily, whilst the capability to operate at very low level by day and night is essential I think a relatively small proportion of the aircraft's time will be spent there. Indeed even on the MR1 and 2 we spent a fair amount of time at around 3000' and above. There are a whole list of things the P8 will not be doing like Stage 2 and Tapestry! I know they stopped ages ago but a lot of people who have never been involved with maritime air think that sort of thing will still happen. Neither do I think time will be spent doing endless radar or CTS homings to a moored buoy.

I do not know how the aircraft will be employed tactically but I do know it will not be Intermittent Radar with random tracks or Continuous All Round Scan (CARS) to deter SSGN that have to broach to fire.I am pretty sure however that a lot of airborne tactical time will be spent at medium level monitoring sensors; both active and passive. That doesn't mean we'll try the old ploy of blocking the gaps with a mountain of expended lofar buoys either, the P8 is going to have to be operated a lot smarter than that. Finally, you have to remember, the lower you go the less you see and hear and that can put you at a significant tactical disadvantage.

At present there is still a requirement to descend to low level to release ASW weapons. However when the goal of a standoff ASW weapon is realised; always assuming that the means to obtain an attack solution exists; then the requirement for low level diminishes further.

I'm not accusing RetiredBA/BY as he does raise a point, but some people tend to become fixated by low level and maritime operations (MOps). These days low level no longer has the primacy it once did.

However none of the above will prevent the RN tasking a MPA on DS with Airplan 4 Sectors 1 & 2 Circular 30-60....................you all know the rest! Ask a maritime crew member to explain that but be prepared to be told "Roger, wait out" . *

YS

* If you don’t know any maritime crew then ask oxenos as he’s even older than me!

Last edited by Yellow Sun; 26th Dec 2019 at 18:31.