PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Euro market pilot saturation
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2019, 08:00
Officer Kite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Luray
Hello there,

Don't kick me hard for this thread.

On a long layover i looked through US pilot Job market and apparently they are ahead of Europe in terms of salary and working environment. For example sign-on bonus which i never heard of before. I was comparing this to European market overcrowded with young pilots agreeing to work for food to get jet hours. I am not talking about legacy carriers but i mean low-cost airlines that are damping the salary by taking advantage of your little experience and desire to fly big jets no matter what. After you build some hours you move to Asia or ME and circle starts all over again.
So my question is, what would happen if Europe did the same thing as US and apply 1500 h rule before allowing you to fly big jets? Would that bankrupt low-cost airlines and end slavery or would it cause Pan-European transport collapse? Definitely it will benefit safety and make experienced pilots more valuable.
I have a few thousand hours on turboprop in regional and was recently offered to fly E jet for 1/5 of my salary I had to decline this generous offer but i am sure there are those who will accept it and in a few years move to Asia to make big money.
what hours did you have when you started your turboprop job?