PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA crew test positive for alcohol (Sentences)
Old 13th Nov 2003, 20:04
Rowardennan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You cant be done for drink driving unless youve started driving, just prevented from following thru an error of judgement
You can however be prosecuted for being 'In charge' which has a similar penalty,however the 12 month disqualification isn't mandatory in an 'In charge case'

You technically become in charge of a motor vehicle the moment you pick up the keys.

For example if you were found to be in excess of the limit whilst in a car in possession of the keys,regardless of whether they were in the ignition or not you are guilty of an offence..unless you can prove that you had no intention of driving the vehicle

eg: you were intending to sleep in it or you were looking for something in the glove compartment

In this instance the burden of proof is on you,that is YOU have to prove that you had no intention of driving the vehicle.

In practice most police forces will wait until you attempt to move the vehicle and then collar you,just to build a stronger case and go for the driving offence,which is a lot easier to prove and a lot harder to wriggle out of

I have no idea how this relates to aviation,but I thought I should clear up that particular point for your own good

Just in case!