PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ICE ON WINGS
Thread: ICE ON WINGS
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2019, 09:38
Uplinker

Received 96 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by flightleader
Uplinker,

Do you think calling the cockpit while the aircraft is on the runway is a safe thing to do?

Depends what the problem is doesn’t it? A well trained and properly briefed crew* will only call if there is a very serious problem. “There are flames around the engine”, or “some fluid is pouring from the wing”, would be quite good to know before releasing the brakes and pushing the thrust levers forward. Regarding wing contamination, a final check that the wings are clear should be made before lining up. If you do not want any comments from your cabin crew, how do you achieve this?, (given that you cannot see your own wings from the cockpit). Open the DV window?

I am sure if the captain was not doing the right thing the copilot would have told him.
So......CRM only applies to the copilot now? (And the copilot can somehow see the all of the wing from the cockpit?).

Icing can happen on aircraft even in clear blue sky such as descending with cold fuel in tanks. Do you want cabin crew to call you about it? Or engine nacelles icing while crisscrossing those altocumulus, you want them to call too? Has the cabin crew been trained in these too?
OK, so you are flying along, in and out of icing conditions. You are of course selecting engine, and maybe wing anti-ice on and off as appropriate. Your No1 rings through to say ‘sorry to bother you but there seems to be a big build up of ice around the front of one of the engines’. Or along the front of one of the wings. (An anti-ice valve has failed shut). Or ‘there is fluid streaming out from behind the wing’. Are you really, seriously telling me that you would not want to know this?

Once the cabin crew interfered with the pilots operational decisions..........

(my bold)

I really think you need to attend a CRM course !

NB: CRM means CREW Resource Management, i.e. the whole aircrew. NOT Copilot Resource Management, nor Captain Resource Management.

One day, your cabin crew might notice something important and help prevent an incident becoming an accident, or even save your life.

Safe flying.

*I have been in three airlines, one European, two International. The cabin crew training in all three was excellent, including CRM.