PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The irony of the 2019 13th month
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2019, 05:13
Porterboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Air Profit
I'm sorry to be so negative, but I witnessed this first hand for over 20 years. I now look back in horror at the fact that I allowed myself to stay immersed in such a dysfunctional system for my entire career. Should have left over a decade ago.
Unless you’re American, you’d have the same sentiment at most other airlines because pilot wages have been depressed almost everywhere. Fact of the matter is that COS18 is an embarrassment of a contract compared to the A/B scales, but at least in terms of pay, it is quite competitive when compared with the current contracts of competing airlines (ie: AC, QF, SQ, etc). It would be fantastic if Cathay could keep the wages as they were 20 years ago, but had they done so, you likely wouldn’t even have a job at CX right now. Besides fuel, labour is the next biggest cost and when competing airlines are cutting labour costs, you best do the same if you want to compete on price. Unfortunately, quality is not as important anymore to the consumer which is evident by airlines significantly reducing or even eliminating F class. People just want to get from A to B. Another common theme people complain about on here is mismanagement and greed from the top, but this happens pretty much everywhere as well, so that’s not something that would disappear if you left either. I’m not saying that everything is good and we should just be content with what we have. I think it’s important to fight for a better contract, but just understand that CX is still competitive and the sky isn’t falling.