PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Atlas Air 3591 NTSB Public Docket Opened
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2019, 03:42
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by neilki
@Airbubba
Always a privilege to join your conversations; I've interviewed at Atlas. I found them an extremely professional and diligent group. HR and Technical folks were very well tuned in, and they certainly were not so desperate pilots that, in my opinion they lowered their guard in any meaningful way. Less than half the qualified applicants that day got offers. they turned away a ME 777 CA and several experienced 121 skippers.
Their reputation is that they won't hire anyone with any training failures.
I agree, Atlas training gets good reviews from the folks I've worked with who have passed through there.

The interviews in the Accident Docket give a lot of insight to the hiring process and training. The NTSB does the customary 'we're here to find the cause, not to assign blame' opener. And 'that FAA guy is here to help you, he can't pull your ticket for anything you say during the interview'.

Atlas Director of Human Resources Denise Borrelli's interview starting on page 534 of the 734 page file is interesting as she is asked how the FO's numerous training failures are somehow missed in the PRIA check and the job interview process. Was it just an oversight?

Originally Posted by Airbubba
Did we figure out what instrument panel this freighter had? It was probably mentioned in the closed thread a few months ago but I can't seem to find it. Was it the legacy 767 panel with the round dial airspeed and Trinitron CRT screens? Or a flat screen mod done on the freighter conversion?
Looking at the interviews, it appears that the plane had the flat screen panel upgrade with the round dial airspeed still there as well. So, even with the loss of the EADI you would presumably still have airspeed indication on the dial.

Here's a link to the interview transcripts, I find the online docket interface with the MS Word table of contents to be a little, well, wonky.

https://dms.ntsb.gov/public/63000-63...168/631157.pdf