PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Atlas Air 3591 NTSB Public Docket Opened
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2019, 00:54
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by slickcity
I have thousands of hours in both seats of the 757 and the 767. When the f/o is hand flying an approach and calls for flaps, the captain many times will reach behind the throttles and around to set the flaps. This avoids contacting the first officer’s hand while he/she is operating the throttles. But it also puts the captain’s wrist in close proximity to the go around switches. I can see this happening.
Originally Posted by Check Airman
The FO didn’t call for flaps 5 though. What would the captain’s (or anyone else’s) hand be doing there
The FO was apparently flying on autopilot and had called for flaps 1. There is a little pitch up on the '76 when you select flaps 1 (actually just the LE slats) but the autopilot should have handled that. But if those go-around switches or whatever they are called had been bumped I guess TOGA power would be selected when the flaps were 'out of the up position' (it's been a long time since I took the oral).

The '76 and the '75 are supposed to throttle back to a 2000 foot per minute climb as the nose comes up on the go-around. However, if you try to keep the nose down the plane thinks it needs more power and doesn't throttle back in my experience. There are subtleties and nuances on 757/767 autoflight that in some cases seem to be specific to the engine manufacturer. tdracer probably knows a lot about this.

Originally Posted by noalign
On the CVR transcript, HOT-2 appears to mention the EFI source source select switch as though he has selected alternate. I believe he now is looking at output from the center symbol generator. A minute and a half later he's speaking as though he no longer has airspeed, perhaps there is no drawn airspeed.

Shouldn't the source inputs for the center symbol generator be the same source inputs for the center autopilot? The autopilot that appears to have been engaged throughout the entire flight?
Did we figure out what instrument panel this freighter had? It was probably mentioned in the closed thread a few months ago but I can't seem to find it. Was it the legacy 767 panel with the round dial airspeed and Trinitron CRT screens? Or a flat screen mod done on the freighter conversion?

From the CVR transcript:

12:37:07.2 HOT-2 E-fy. [EFI button.]

12:37:08.5 HOT-? E-fy.

12:37:08.9 HOT-2 okay I got it back.

12:37:09.5 HOT-1 now it's back. [Sound of quick laugh.]

12:37:10.1 CAM [Sound of quick two beeps. Frequency not discernible.]

12:37:11.5 HOT-2 I press the E-fy button- it fixes everything.
Did the FO go to ALTN EFI? On the legacy panel it wouldn't affect his airspeed display it seems.