PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unemployed (as pilots) fATPL holders
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2019, 08:27
rudestuff

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Not your cup of tea
I’ve renewed a couple of times but again have got nowhere. The sad thing is I genuinely love flying and really wanted to earn my living as a pilot. I am reasonably well paid now in another industry but commercial aviation still looks good from the pay scales I have seen. But the older I now get the less interested I am at waking up at 4am etc. Still if the opportunity ever came up, I’d seriously consider it (I’d love to give it a go).
So have you given up or not? Finding that first job is the hardest part of the whole process, and it gets harder the longer you are out of training. The flight training is the expensive part, and you've already done that. "Seriously consider it" and "Love to give it a go" are not the same as "I'd jump at the chance" or "I'd do anything to..." So maybe in truth you don't want it enough? 8 years is a long time. You could get a lot of hours as a part time FI in 8 years. Or made a lot of contacts as an ATPL ground instructor. Or married and divorced a couple of chief pilots daughters. Most of us have the ability to make friends, and friends in airlines can be really useful when you want to work for an airline. Some people get lucky by just applying for jobs, but others need to think outside the box.