PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 16th Dec 2019, 23:56
edmundronald

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by etudiant
Sadly the evidence supports this negative assessment of Boeing's engineering culture.
The company has had a succession of egregious cost and schedule issues, in civil most notably with the 787, but also in defense, with the 767 tanker versions the poster child, hugely late for Japan, for Italy and now the USAF.
The firms current NASA work follows the same pattern. Nowhere is there a recognition that something stinks, so the rot keeps spreading. .
I have no understanding of cost and schedule, but as regards engineering safety aspects, in my opinion management interventions won't help as the process is now rotten. My guess is that when they have figured it out and fired Dennis Muilenburg they will attempt to poach away some engineering managers from Airbus, from the defense aerosapce industry, or possibly hire in ex-FAA execs with the requisite culture as this is about culture and not technology.

It would be ironic if the people they hire to fix their safety problem turn out to be ex-Boeing engineers from better times.

Edmund