PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Safety is everyone's responsibility - de-icing
Old 16th Dec 2019, 16:59
Sailvi767

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by IcePack
Interesting that of the cabin crew reporting. I was taking an A330 out of a northern german airfield. Their was some ice over the collector tanks (Inboard aft of the wing) this is perfectly allowable. However it was reported to me by a concerned cabin crew member. Company policy to take cabin crew reports seriously, so I got the aircraft de-iced so as not to undermine cabin crews confidence in reporting. Cost the company a "pretty penny" but hey how far do you take training. Yes I know I could of just told them it was OK, but suspect that would have undermined their confidence and would have resulted in them writing it up, which I suspect their managers would have taken further, with all that would have entailed.
At least in the US takeoff with ice anywhere on the upper surface of the wing is prohibited. In my 330 training it was emphasized that ice could form on the upper surface of the wings over the tanks and deicing would be required without exception.