PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Opinion on Gieves
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2019, 00:20
rlsbutler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I assume that each Towers Entry was the subject of a Dutch auction to determine who supplied what piece of the graduating uniform. For my Entry (79) I only remember the Bates hat (excellent) and the Poulson & Scone shoes. I see others here remembering P & S with respect. The soles of my shoes gave way at the first contact with wet gravel and were soon unusable. As I result I remembered the name (to avoid it) and learned in due time that the brand was sold to another outfitter. I have also made it my practice, even when my various shoes are certain to outlive me, to give my every leather sole a rubber stick-a-sole to take the wear.

I am surprised no one has mentioned the KD racket. My first tour was in Singapore. Newbies like me were easily suckered by one or other of the named tailors (in my case, Moss Bros on Cambridge Circus) to fill our trunks with their aint-half-hot-mum versions of the kit before we left UK. I do not think they tried to sell me a solar topee but it was all quite expensive. The marvellous station tailor at Tengah saved me from wearing any of what I brought from home.