PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Private Flight To Be Banned.
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2019, 14:56
Okihara

Location: Currently: A landlocked country with high terrain, otherwise Melbourne, Australia + Washington D.C.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rcoight
If you know anything at all about science you should know that it is all about questioning.

And, yes.

You should stop getting your news from the ABC and The Project.
Look mate, here are three easy statements that most climate skeptics should ponder for as long as their attention span allows and try to answer truthfully:
1. Are you going to hurt the planet by adopting a more environmentally friendly way of life? Hint: probably not.
2. Can you really afford to be wrong about your current views on the climate? Hint: probably not either.
3. Do you actually have a plan if climate change was confirmed?

Regarding science and questioning: questioning is used to establish facts, I hope we'll agree on that. Questioning well established facts is fine for the purpose of the exercise but doesn't serve science. Sowing doubt with easy to sell arguments for short term profit against those career scientists who placed research first also serves no good. Anyway, once you have the facts, you move on and question more things and get more facts. At least that how we were taught, in my science degrees. Then you may ask: Ah-ha! But what is a fact but a consensus between people? To which I say: True, what defines consensus then? What level of agreement are you happy with? Questioning facts à la Trump, i.e. have a very, very, very, ..., very strong and solid chance of being just true is perhaps a symptom of your own limitations for mistaking hypocrisy for legitimate questioning. And I mean no offence by this. This world is obviously populated by a lot people with strongly limited intellects or else we wouldn't see a Trump or a Scomo speak about climate instead of climate scientists in the first place.

For those interested, the NYT remains a fine source of news.