PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow-2
Thread: Heathrow-2
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2019, 10:46
Skipness One Foxtrot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Navpi
I'm amazed it hasnt featured more widely as an election issue given the eye watering level of taxpayer subsidies.

I suspect the road and rail infrastructure which is taxpayer funded is now in the region of £20bn using HS2 and Crossrail as a yardstick.

It seems incredible that Labour have not picked up on this

Must confess I'm more right wing than Attila The Hun but I'm scratching my head as to the value of providing infrastructure for a new service to say Caracas if people are in AE for 36hours, nanny has zero support in terms of social care placement and criminals are allowed to roam our streets with impunity as we have a failed justice system cut to the bone and no police !

Maybe do the basics to provide a good standard of living for everyone and then subsidise a 3rd runway?
It's very important to conflate unrelated matters in a random way to make an argument. That's very important. Somehow....
The money that LHR brings in must be very small, mere pennies, and who needs all those jobs anyway?
Hint : If you want to pay for Social Care then you need a commercial revenue stream flooding into a strong economy. Wittering on about edge cases like Caracas is classic #whataboutery
The pretense here is that core national infrastructure like railways, airports, nuclear power etc are in some way purely commercial enterprises. That does not stack up given 2 seconds of serious thought. They're commercial but intrinsically linked into public infrastructure, stop pretending they're not. TfL et al are massively inflating costs because, they are *ANGLING FOR THE BIGGEST BUDGET SETTLEMENT POSSIBLE*. It's in their interests to inflate to (in some cases), frankly silly levels of cost.
But yeah, cos HS2 is insane, then LHR must be too.

Have you been through an American airport of late? Is that the model you are advocating?