PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The things you find
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2019, 12:42

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Pilots often relate how our Instructors and the previous generation of pilots lived through an interesting time in aviation. But us Baby Boomers saw a lot of changes also and one did not have to be in a airline to experience those changes.

From doing circuits in Chippies and C150s through to International flying at speeds faster and higher than some of the airline aircraft. From looking for a star picket in the middle of the Australian desert using WAC charts to crossing oceans using GPS. From surveying the un-mapped Indonesia Islands to flying Heads of State. Landing at a small grass airfield in Central West NSW and having all the pupils from the local State School turn up unannounced to have a look because you were the first to land a jet there. Spending all night just to pickup an esky on an organ retrieval flight

Sure we may not have retired on mega bucks but we had a ball.

So Logbooks do tell a tale. You may have lived it as if flashed past but your children and grandchildren may look through those Logbooks in wonder at what you did with what you had.

When I look back at my Father and Grandfather lives I can only find snippets of their lives in newspapers and Govt archives. With Logbooks one nearly has a day by day look at a person's life and experiences.