PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cargo Jet makes a 360 at 100’
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2019, 20:23
Four Wings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been there...
In the mid 60s I used to fly regularly as a passenger on Aden Airways C47 (aka DC3) services in South Arabia (now Yemen). All dirt strips. They were mixed configuration, with removable seats, and always loaded to the gunwhales so seating v. cargo was always highly contentious.
I was the local Shell sales manager and used my privileged position as the sole supplier of fuel in the area to get a seat (the Aden Airways agent was also usually the Shell petrol station dealer).
On one occasion there was a real bust up at loading as all the seats were taken and a very angry Yemeni, in customary dress of futa, jambiya and .303 rifle tried to force his way on board, holding the cargo door so the steward couldn't close it. The pilot came down to help him, the stewrd pulled up the steps, the pilot slammed the door in place, went back to the cock[it and we took off.
But instead of climbing as usual, as soon as we had a couple of hundred feet under us he did a very hard turn, all the way round, till. 'Uh.uh. I thought .trouble a't'mill'.
Very,very low we lined up on the dirt strip, but I couldn't make out what was happening as we were still on full power it seemed. I was sitting up front and at over 100 knots and what felt like nought feet under us I suddenly saw the Yemeni flash under us. wildly waving his rifle but instinstively ducking as we passed over him.
So on to the next sector, probably a downwind at Lodar or some such.

Last edited by Four Wings; 6th Dec 2019 at 20:25. Reason: typos