PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Door blows out during ground test on Boeing 777X jet
Old 4th Dec 2019, 17:26
Ian W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tdracer
The problem with that is that the DER/AR job is not 'full time' - it's more of a subset to your normal job responsibilities. That's a big part of why the DER/AR system usually works - the DER/AR is very familiar with the system he/she is certifying because it's what they've been working on, and the certification needs are known and implemented into the design early on rather than some last minute bandaids to meet the regs. This is fundamentally different than how the QA system works (on more than one occasion, I had to explain to a QA person what they were looking at and why it was acceptable - they simply don't have detailed system knowledge). The Boeing ODA is already a separate group - with it's own reporting chain (part of the protections put in place for ARs under the ODA), but the ARs still fall under the normal management system for accessing work quality, performance, etc.
Besides, the Boeing management structure is already quite complicated and difficult to understand - adding another management chain might cause it to collapse under it's own weight
Yes - it still puts the individual in the difficult position of competing aims - so working in a team trying to meet tight deadlines while also insisting on creating 'delays' for specific testing/regression etc. I have been in the position of being an acceptance manager AND tasked with meeting deliverable times - leads to a lot of cognitive dissonance.

On the organization it becomes 'span of command' and 'unity of control'