PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot friends we remember...
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2019, 13:57
T18

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A very interesting though sad subject, may I add my experiences also.
Wing Commander Jock Dalgleish OBE, a true gentleman and a great instructor with so much experience and knowledge.

Jock completed my training as a PPL, I would sometimes think Jock was asleep as we flew along, one trip as we headed from Glenrothes to Crail our local flying area, Jock, eyes closed heading east along the coast a pilot radios Leuchars "request descent from 10,000 feet due to falling airspeed", this was aknowledged and minutes later, the pilot calls again "request descent due to falling airspeed", Jock casually reaches for the hand mike and makes the call, "pitot heat", minutes later said pilot requests climb to 10k.

Jock conducted my GFT,and after several maneuvers he looks out to the sea and says, it looks cold out there, I agree, ok close your eyes I want you to recover when I tell you, no worries I get the C152 level and back ontrack just as the engine and propellor stops - OMG a real emergency, Jocks training kicks in, he had turned off the fuel and climbed to stop the prop, great, I seemed to need three hands to get the engine started from around 2000ft, all went well, however as we returned to Fife airport the setting sun practically blinded me but by using my peripheral vision I was able to line up a long final and land.

As we walked back to the clubhouse I ask Jock "what do you think", yes I enjoyed that was all he answered and after the paperwork was completed he told me I had passed!

I went back for several evenings to listen in on his ground school lectures just to enjoy the anecdotes he would recount during the lesson, taking off from an air base and climbing to 50' in a bomber for miles to burn fuel before being able to gently climb, being at 28000' flat out out just above the stall, fascinating stuff.

Jock died in Dec 1999 and I discovered that he was a life long friend of King Hussein of Jordan whom he taught to fly and went on to save his life while flying a DH Dove, in Syrian airspace he was "bounced by two migs who tried to make the Dove crash by heading straight for it, Jock took control and dived for the desert floor and flew feet above back to Jordanian airspace. It' worth googling the whole story.

I understand that King Hussein would fly to Perth and he and Jock would grab a C150 and fly to Edinburgh on a purple airway.

So many lovely memories, I wish I had spent more time with him.

Having been in a few tricky flying situations, his training still holds good.

T18