PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Strategic Defence Review 2020 - get your bids in now ladies & gents
Old 4th Dec 2019, 09:51
downsizer

Received 114 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Viking
I read your post and it made me think of something I have thought about for several years.

We have the CASWOs conference where WOs tell CAS about the state of the nation.

Sqn bosses also have the opportunity to feed back to CAS quite regularly.

The one group who has no direct conduit (and I mean unfiltered without the spin of the Sqn Boss) to CAS is the JOs. And, since I’m a pilot, what I really mean here is the JO pilots.

There are roughly 30000 currently in the RAF. From memory I think there are just shy of 2000 pilots of all ranks. Most of the flying (both operationally and locally) is done by JO pilots. They are the ones who are keeping the ‘Air’ in the name of the organisation. They are also basically ignored wholesale.

I’m not suggesting a Union but what I am suggesting is that maybe there should be a CASJOs conference. An opportunity for each flying unit (by all means expand it to all trades but that is not my area of expertise) to pick a genuine representative (not a thruster chosen by the powers that be but a ‘good lad’ who will say it how it is) who gets a chance to tell CAS exactly what is affecting those on the shop floor without fear of reprisal.

I think we ignore the JO cadre at our peril. Especially in the flying branch. For it is they who are doing our fighting (flying) and appear to be becoming more and more disillusioned. Denying them a voice is not helping.

Just my take on things. Obvs.

BV
Mate, don't over estimate the CASWOs conference, prime example of self licking lollipop. It is attended (largely) by people more interested in notionally creating 4 levels of WO... CASWO, Gp WO, SWO, WO. Hardly giving it to the man. I've met the last 3 CASWOs and despite giving it large about sitting at the top table none of them could provide an example of where they had influenced a decision for the betterment of personnel.