PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Red Arrows - worth the effort now?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2019, 18:51
BVRAAM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by heights good
This argument, whilst perhaps true, does not justify keeping the Reds. There are so few airshows and displays that compared to 20 yrs ago a LOT less kids see the Reds perform.

In addition, if you were to survey most serving members of the RAF I would imagine that 99.5% did not join the RAF because of the Reds. I for one joined because a Chinook landed outside my Air Cadet Sqn (before I even understood that the air cadets existed). The Reds although great to watch holds no allure for this guy, even as a kid.

I would suggest that most young boys seeing a FJ with 'bombs' and 'guns' or a Helicopter fast roping or offloading 30 full tolled up soldiers has as much, if not more draw for your average little boy. That is certainly the vibe I get from all little boys I have met.

Just my opinion and not meant to cause nasty arguments or name calling.
Yeah, good argument and I can relate. The Tornado always impressed me more as a kid than the Red Arrows ever did.

I think the Reds are still valuable for engagement and recruitment. Some people don't consider joining without prior engagement to inspire the interest.