PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2019, 22:33
POBJOY

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Single or Twin

Originally Posted by chevvron
In connection with a thread in 'Private Flying', does this apply to the VW engine used in the Fournier RF4b?
My Monnet Moni powered glider only had single ignition but then it wasn't a VW engine, it was a flat twin 2 stroke KFM 107E
Hi Chev The RF4 (VW 1200 no starter or generator) operated as a motor glider hence its single ignition (a wonderful machine that flew like it looked 'beautiful' ) Fist saw one at Biggin Hill when Sportair utilised them as the 'solo' machine to compliment their RF5 Trainer (VW1700 Limbach and electics plus dual ignition). This was the trigger for me to 'go power' from ATC instructing. The RF5 'single wheel tail dragger' also gave me a very quick intro into the need for rudder on take off that was not an issue with winch launch gliders.
To be classed as a MG and therefore not need dual mags a machine needed a minimum modest glide angle. Its predecessor the RF3 'basic aileron' utilised a mod that decompressed the engine valves to effect an air start, the RF4 provided a lever in the cockpit. Many years later I tried to buy an RF7 (Clipped wing RF4 with the 1700 engine) 'An upgrade from my Turbulent' but the Comper came along so that was that.