PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - boeing airctaft approach descent rate
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2019, 13:13
LEVC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ROD

I am not sure of what your question is.
I do not have the manuals with me at this time, but as far as I can remember, no specific rate of descent is mentioned on the FCTM.
My understanding is that the profiles on the manuals for the different type of instrument approaches are generic and for the usual approaches found in most airports, which have standard 3 Deg/5% GS/VNAV path or similar.

If you have a look at the QRH, on the P.I. chapter, the first section has the "unreliable air speed" tables where you can find pitch and thrust settings for some phases of flight at different configurations and at different weights.
That is the only place where I can think of, that mentions rate of descent, and then only for initial descent, for the final approach phase no ROD is given.

As you most likely know, your ROD in any given approach will vary according to different parameters, your weight (Vref based on it), wind etc etc, and during the approach, the ROD will be varying all the time unless is a zero wind day with very stable conditions. Its values should be, for a 3 deg. ILS, around 1/2 of you GS.
Is that what you are looking for?, a ball park figure of what your ROD should be on approach?.

I don't know what you level of experience is, so, do excuse me if I am telling you things you already know.

Hope it helps