PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA pilots vote to strike
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2019, 03:20
cessnaxpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wiggy
I understand fully where you are coming from cessnax but you need to see this in the context of the UK and also appreciate how deep the company's pockets are/what funds they might have access to..

For years the advice on the line has been make sure you have a months pay in the bank for contingencies but the reality is there are many pilots in the UK who have leveraged themselves up to their ears and beyond to get into the industry, perhaps buy a house within traveling distance of London, and probably umpteeen other things. For many of them extended (as in multiple week / multiple month?) Industrial Action on zero pay is simply a non-starter on practical grounds. I don't like the situation but have to recognise that that's the Realpolitik that the union is working in.

That said I don't think there is any intention of leaving anybody behind.
I know it’s difficult. I’ve been on strike with a company which had deep pockets. I also wasn’t in the best shape financially. We were told to prepare, but same thing here... most didn’t. Seldom does labor have much leverage, and a strike is certainly powerful.

Best of luck. I can empathize with the stress and uncertainty.