PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flydubai crash at RVI final report out
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2019, 12:50
Denti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Uplinker
All I would say is that we are not trained in taking control. We are just told to do it - in text somewhere in the manuals, but during training, F/Os are never actually put into the situation of having to take control from the Captain*. It can be a big deal to take over from a Captain, somebody maybe very senior to oneself, and whom the company has deemed to be good enough to be a Captain, while they’ve decided you’re not.

*The only time we do practise taking control is for an incapacitation, or instrument failure, which is easy because then there is no argument from the Captain - you don’t have to shout at him and wrestle the controls from him and have a disagreement; because he is ‘unconscious’ or willing.
That was true for my training on the 737 as well, taking control was only trained for the instance of an incapacitation. When i switched to the bus it was actually trained against a colleague trying to kill you. State loud and clearly „I have control“, press the red button and keep it pressed to lock the other out who still continues to make control inputs and recover the situation.

It is still trained pretty much every simulator event as part of the upset recovery training, for both the FO and the CPT. Very good training to be had in my view.