PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flydubai crash at RVI final report out
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2019, 17:32
excrab

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
[QUOTE=FlightDetent;10629190]Not enough for me. The -3/4/500 had no dual autopilot neither HUD and was CATIIIA. The question stands, what kind of assessment yielded the result, not to use a certified AP/AT for LVP.

Flight detent

I don’t know what type of 300/400 or 500 you flew. I’ve not flown a 400, but all the 737 300s and 500s that I flew certainly had dual autopilot, both of which had to be armed for a dual channel approach and auto-land exactly the same as the 800.

I don’t know what assessment was made by flydubai when they decided to use the HUD, as the decision was made before I joined. However, the following is a direct quote from an email I received from the safety department a year before the accident, when I queried why dual channel approaches weren’t flown, as doing so would allow automatic go arounds to be flown with a reduction in crew workload :

” Dual channel approaches would involve a lot of engineering/ maintenance/ servicing/ paperwork and increase training costs. As yet, the costs probably outweigh the benefits”.

So from that it is evident that at some point prior to the accident, someone in Flydubai had done a cost analysis and decided not to use dual channel approaches and instead to use the HUD. If that still isn’t enough for you there is nothing else I can add.

Last edited by excrab; 29th Nov 2019 at 19:32.