PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Edinburgh-3
Thread: Edinburgh-3
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2019, 10:16
Skipness One Foxtrot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by willy wombat
I have a question re EDI stand planning. I frequently use EZY from/to LGW and the flights frequently use gates 2/3/4. Yesterday afternoon the LGW was on gate 3 and the BRS on gate 2. Not only does this lead to loads of congestion as the arriving pax try to push past the pax queuing for departure (and yesterday the LGW and BRS queues got totally mixed up with each other) but it means that arriving pax have to walk the whole length of the departure lounge to get to domestic arrivals. Would it not make more sense to allocate gates nearer to domestic arrivals for these flights? It was not exactly busy yesterday afternoon - plenty of contact stands available. One other point re the EDI terminal - a nasty pinch point has been created between Weatherspoons and Burger King with pax walking in both directions causing congestion. I'm surprised the fire service allows it.
The stand layout is subpar even before you get to the allocation. There was a time when Midland had Gate 1, BA on 2 or 3 with AirUK using 4 when the Terminal was fit for the level of traffic it handled. Nowadays BA's most-favoured-airline status sees you dropped off at Cargo and bussed if you get the last Shuttle from LHR! Some of the old domestic gates now grant access to the UK Border and so can't be used to board until an arriving aircraft has cleared, (the old glass doors approach BAA used to have at LGW and still has at LHR Pier 7) It *may* be the case your EZY domestic departure had arrived on an international so was allocated those gates.
If they use the East Pier, it's a bus to International arrivals which adds to cost and inconvenience.

BTW the option exists to fly a B757 on a W pattern into EDI, adds to costs but you know what, it happens a lot.