PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flydubai crash at RVI final report out
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2019, 09:14
Double Back

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Retired 10+ Years ago after having commanded 17 Years on relative "simple" A/C like the 744, I do not envy pilots having to deal with those "stuck or parked" throttles. I could fly an auto GA with the 744 with my eyes closed, NO FMA indications needed at all, all "natural" feedback from pitch movements from the controls, INCLUDING forward A/T driven movement of the throttles to the approximate correct position, G-forces, sound of engines. The position of the throttles in GA or T/O was etched into my stretched arm's muscle memory, NO way I could overlook that.
It took a while though before the company accepted that in a GA it was allowed to leave one hand on the throttles, because officially one had to release them as soon as forward movement was detected. A bit curious as during the approach one was supposed to follow up on the A/T by resting one hand on those throttles.
Muscle memory is way more reliable than inputs obtained by vision, especially in stressful situations when the brains gets saturated with vision inputs.

Studying the presentations of the possible HUD indications make me feel glad I never had to deal with such a system.
The GA procedure should be an extremely simple one, in my career as long hauler I made maybe only 3 actual, so to speak a kind of "emergency". All in good weather. One was F$#*ed up by ATC by requesting us to level off at an altitude we just were zooming through on our way to the published one. Really helpful
MAYBE we are on our way to full pilot less flight and the industry is now coping how to use the developing automatics to "help" the pilots in this era in between. But I am not impressed with the progress that is made because of the arrogance of the automatics.
I just heard the car industry is slowly loosing the idea of ever reaching full automatic control of cars, at least not in the current road infrastructure. Inside concrete tubes, yes, might be possible