PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - After 5 hours...
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2019, 07:33
India Four Two

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
DB,

i thoroughly agree with Pilot_DAR’s recommendation - you should definitely move on to taildraggers. You are ready even if you don’t think so. Remember that many people in the past started learning to fly on taildraggers and some even do so now.

With the right aircraft and the right instructor, you will get the hang of it quite quickly and what you learn will stand you in good stead for the rest of your flying career.

More years ago than I care to admit, I was in the same position as you. I had just finished my PPL on a tricycle-gear aircraft (Piper Colt). I had two flights in a Chipmunk, to do the required spinning exercises. I remember at the time thinking that I would never be able to fly one. However, a few months later, I was in a University Air Squadron, being taught to fly one!

I went solo after five hours, probably a bit longer than was necessary, but the RAF system required me to do all the pre-solo exercises.

So go for it, you won’t regret it. Complex aeroplanes, instrument flying, etc. can come later.